Thread: Next Subaru WRX STI to go hybrid - 2017

Next Subaru WRX STI to go hybrid - 2017

(Image and words from www.carsales.com.au)

Subaru's new-generation STI to offer petrol-electric power boost and motor-driven rear axle.

Subaru is going gangbusters, having just unveiled concept versions of its next-generation Impreza sedan and hatch, both of which will be based on the company's new global platform but remain two years away from Australian showrooms.

However, company CEO Yasuyuki Yoshinaga announced at the Tokyo motor show that the new Subaru Global Platform (SGP) will also underpin the Japanese car-maker's next WRX STI, some tantalizing new details of which have now come to hand.

Expected to debut in 2017, the new STI will boast a sportier sedan body, heavily flared fenders, carbon-fibre air ducts, a rear diffuser and a huge rear wing, as indicated by this rendering based on inside knowledge of Subaru’s design plans.

But under that turbo-friendly bonnet where the main event lies. Aiming to radically improve fuel economy while maintaining the STI’s class-leading performance, Subaru is working on a new powertrain that will incorporate a revised version of the FA20 2.0-litre turbocharged boxer engine with an electric motor.

Output of the new hybrid system should clear 240kW — a 10kW increase on the current EJ20 engine. [326 Hp converted]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX
    The all-new Subaru WRX is coming. Pardon our dust.

Hrmm! I'm concerned about the added battery and electric motor weight. If the electric motors are well integrated to minimize lag, this could be good.

Stephen - I drive Blue Subarus of the rally and track varietals.

I hope it's not like another article suggested where the rear wheels would only be powered by the electric motors. The AWD system loses all appeal to me if the rear wheels aren't mechanically connected to the fronts.
    2013 FRS - Daily enjoyed.