Thread: Steering Shaft Leak on an '04 WRX Steering Rack

Steering Shaft Leak on an '04 WRX Steering Rack

This is definitely deja vu for me because I had the same thing happen on my '09 STi, but I now have a slight leak from the steering shaft seal on this steering rack.

The pump is not making all sorts of noise like the STi did, so I suspect it's a slight leak, but I'd still like it repaired.

Instead of rebuilding the rack like I did for the STi, do you think I can just take it out and replace the steering shaft seal instead?

It’s item (24) on the diagrams below, called an Oil seal. Item (21) is called a Dust seal, (22) is a Valve housing and (23) is a Gasket.

Subaru says I can get an Oil seal repair kit and dust seal separately:

"Ok so the 24 oil seal comes as a repair kit the dust seal I can get on its own

34128FC010 SEAL KIT 28.60
    34155FC000 DUST COVE 5.17"

If so, I'll replace the steering rack bushing with Whiteline items at the same time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LaszloT; 07-29-2016 at 08:29 AM.
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX
    The all-new Subaru WRX is coming. Pardon our dust.

What was the difference between rebuilding it and just changing the seals? Still comes off the car, no?

This hasn't happened to any of my Subarus... odd. I've replaced inner tie rod ends due to marginal wear, but no leaks.

Whiteline bushings help.

Stephen - I drive Blue Subarus of the rally and track varietals.

I bought the rack seal kit from Subaru and will rebuild it instead of just changing the steering shaft seal, if it's a DIY job.

I had others do the last rack rebuild I did.
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX
    The all-new Subaru WRX is coming. Pardon our dust.