Thread: Lineartronic and Electronic controlled centre-diff experiences?

Lineartronic and Electronic controlled centre-diff experiences?

Long-time listener, first-time caller....it's been a long time anyway.

Sooo, would I be disappointed with this CVT + electronic diff combination in a '13 Legacy Wagon (aka Outback)? I read that, unfortunately, it's a 60-40 split in normal conditions. Is there a hack to change that? (I know, I haven't even bought one yet and want to mod it)

t.
    Time Attack - #107 TBD
    Autoslalom - #105 SM

SPDA Social Dictator

--

No hack available, but you won't be disappointed, it's way better than any other CVT out there (compared to my Murano anyway)

Good reviews yes, but failures might be expensive - past warranty - on a complex and specialize component like the CVT.

Here's one person's experience highlighted in a Globe & Mail article:

Lou's Garage
    This repair is outrageous - what recourse do I have?
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX
    The all-new Subaru WRX is coming. Pardon our dust.

To be fair, most automatic transmission replacements at a dealership are in the $8k+ range. It's not nearly obscene as a Mitsubishi DCT replacement, those are in the $25k range through a dealer.
    2013 FRS - Daily enjoyed.

CVT itself is not complex, Snowmobiles, small ATV's have been using these for eons. The adaption to Automotive use has been recent (within the past 10 years) but never the less, the method and design are primarilly the same. Variable pully / belt / Variable pulley, where the complexity lies is within the software that governs the ratios of the variable pullies.

Laszlo,

If you ever need to replace your STI 6 speed, you'll faint at the dealer price! (much more than that CVT).

No way, man. My tranny's bulletproof! Ha ha.

But should you have to replace one even off warranty unless there's been neglect?
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX
    The all-new Subaru WRX is coming. Pardon our dust.

Quote Originally Posted by LaszloT View Post
    No way, man. My tranny's bulletproof! Ha ha.

But should you have to replace one even off warranty unless there's been neglect?
    Hard to neglect something that requires very little maintenance.. LOL The STI 6 speed is more prone to neglect, actually..

What engine are you looking at? The 4-banger comes with a different (lesser) CVT than the HC variant the 6 comes with, at least on the 2015+. I'm not sure about the 2013.
    Gary W.

Thanks for the input.

We're going to go test drive this weekend. See how the car is. I really don't like how high they've made it. It's as tall as sone SUVs.

I was waiting to find out what VW was going to give us for the TDI wagon. Now I know approximately so can start shopping with a budget.
    Fuel economy is a bit of concern so would've been leaning to the smaller displacement.
    Don't want to replace the wagon but not much choice.
    I do like the looks of the new Volvo wagons but they are too dear.
    Time Attack - #107 TBD
    Autoslalom - #105 SM

SPDA Social Dictator

--

Job done and back in the fold.

Jen now gets to drive a 2014 Outback 3.6R with a trusty regular automatic.

Where's the mods list for these things?
    Time Attack - #107 TBD
    Autoslalom - #105 SM

SPDA Social Dictator

--

Welcome back Tashko!!
    Social Dictator
    Melanie