Thread: Lost another Subaru WRX motor at Mosport GP (big track)

Lost another Subaru WRX motor at Mosport GP (big track)

Final laps before the built motor in my WRX let go, including datalog from a previous session.

Motor was built for this, but I will be regretting not getting the toilet bowl baffle suggested or KillerB larger capacity oil pan if it turns out that this is (again) oil starvation on the big track (turn 3). Here's a video:

Lost another Subaru WRX motor at Mosport GP big track. Link here:
    https://youtu.be/uxc-C_qzWfc
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by LaszloT; 06-24-2015 at 06:20 PM. Reason: add video
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX
    The all-new Subaru WRX is coming. Pardon our dust.

Oh no! Sorry to hear that.

My engine hoist is still available.

You think it was just the cam position sensor?
    Last edited by dubya_rx; 06-24-2015 at 03:54 PM.

Thanks Walter, and yes I'd love to borrow the engine hoist again.

At first we though it was a valvetrain failure because of the clatter when started, but Caveman listened to it when we started it briefly after towing it back to Orillia and he's convinced the bottom let go.

I'm looking into JDM engines to swap in and asking if Gord Bush would diagnose the failure. In my mind it was built for this stuff, but JoeT and STeveD think it's oil starvation.

I had my biggest tune on it (17psi +/-1psi), but I wasn't flogging it mercilessly around the track like a Hooligan!
    Last edited by LaszloT; 06-24-2015 at 06:15 PM. Reason: tune specs
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX

Will do a few oiling upgrades as well, like a large capacity oil pan and one of the recommended baffles:

Cosworth WRX oil pan baffle installed:
    http://www.mocomracing.com/dbimages/...cingfitted.jpg

The KillerB oil pan has 30% more oil, just like the '15 WRX stock pan. Not great for DIY oil changes, but great to avoid oil starvation at the track. I'm already running a have a KillerB pickup.

Good news though, look what EJ205 option I found in my home town:

JDM SUBARU IMPREZA WRX EJ20 EJ20T EJ205 2.0L TURBO AVCS ENGINE 2002-2003-2004-2005
    JDM Japan Direct Japanese Auto Parts JDM Engine JDM Engines JDM Part JDM Parts JDM Transmission JDM Transmissions :: Subaru :: JDM SUBARU IMPREZA WRX EJ20 EJ20T EJ205 2.0L TURBO AVCS ENGINE 2002-2003-2004-2005

With AVCS, turbo, ECU, wiring an more!
    Last edited by LaszloT; 06-25-2015 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Replacement EJ205 link
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX

That sucks sir. Keeping my fingers crossed for my Subi. Quite the find on a positive note though.
    Good luck.

How close to a drop in is the JDM swap? Does the ECU work with the original wiring, or do you have to run the JDM wiring?
    2013 FRS - Daily enjoyed.

Will, it looks like a non-AVCS/drive by cable is a direct swap for a similar JDM version.

To put in a JDM motor with AVCS then I'd need to use their ECU + wiring harness, plus a wiring harness adapter that's supports the additional ECU signals for the AVCS. Here's a link:

IA Performance Subaru AVCS Bulkhead Wiring Kit
    http://www.iaperformance.com/product...oducts_id=2580

Caveman says "No issue with drive clean as long as you use a usdm ecm as it checks vin against it. Yes the pcm/ecu/ecm has the vin written In it.", so you need the USDM ECU for emissions.

I've read about EJ207 swaps where they temporarily switch to the USDM ECU to pass the emissions and then swap back to the JDM ECU for normal running.

To keep costs down and avoid conversion issues, I'm looking for a non-AVCS swap.
    Last edited by LaszloT; 06-27-2015 at 08:35 AM. Reason: ECU options
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX

Wink

Quick update. This might turn out Ok after all.

It broke the bank but I picked up an Ver 7 STi motor (EJ207) from an importer, out of a 2002-2003 JDM STi. Apparently it's handbuilt by Subaru, has a IHI VF30 turbo and comes complete with intercooler, wiring, JDM ECU ect.

We had it towed/delivered it to a private shop today (Jun 30) and if all goes well will be driving it by American Independence day. Woo hoo!

It's a drive by cable motor with AVCS. I will need a wiring harness adapter to get the signals to the AVCS and a protune - Egads! No more COBB maps for me.

As long as I use my USDM ECU then I'll avoid emissions issues, and I'll replace the timing belt now as well.

Wish me luck.
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX

Update on the built motor that failed. I had a tear in the intake duct next to the turbo band clamp, and the clamp was not tight - a maintenance issue.

Was running lean - and therefore hot - because of this, as you can see by the white in the turbine discharge. We saw the same white on the plugs.

Coolant and exhaust temperatures seemed normal (196/1100 F) - even at the track - and the intake duct tear never triggered a code (CEL). A little ironic in a way, because I have a Perrin turbo inlet standing by to go on this motor, but never got around to pulling the intake.

We'll take it apart shortly and I'll give you an update. Hopefully it is salvageable and I can use it as a spare. I seem to need one.
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX

The picture you posted of the tear is not the cause for your failure. If you notice where that tear is, it's located directly in the clamp band area, and it was more than likely covered by the clamp. In that section of the intake, it sits on the lip of the turbo. There was no leakage there, and that's why you didn't throw any codes.

You were running hot because you were on the race track, nothing more nothing less, the tiny TD04 was struggling to breathe, the white residue was cause "post" failure. Prove it to yourself, take a picture of all 4 spark plugs and see how many of them had that residue.

I thought the built-motor WRX was tough enough for the track environment, but I also thought a stock WRX would be too.

Is it not suitable for running it at the track without the proper oiling mods suggested already and a professional tune?
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX

Installed a good EJ207 now and I am back on the road!

Getting a front O2 sensor CEL so I'll replace that tomorrow and clear the code. I have an engine tune booked with Neetronics early next week. Will I be able to use the COBB AP for gauges and to manage CELs still, or do I no longer need it?

Andy says to run Ultra 94 and stay away from high load until they can get it tuned.
    Last edited by LaszloT; 07-20-2015 at 03:01 PM.
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX

Quote Originally Posted by LaszloT View Post
    Getting a front O2 sensor CEL so I'll replace that tomorrow and clear the code. I have an engine tune booked with Neetronics early next week. Will I be able to use the COBB AP for gauges and to manage CELs still, or do I no longer need it?
    Do not hesitate on the O2 sensor, or do not drive it if you can't get it replaced soon. You'll have to check with Cobb about CEL reading capability with JDM ECU's. It certainly won't upload/download tunes.

Stephen - I drive Blue Subarus of the rally and track varietals.

Getting a front O2 sensor today and installing it tonight, STeveD. I'm equally concerned as you about running the engine with that CEL on.

It looks like the COBB AccessPort will read- and maybe clear- CEL codes from the JDM ECU, but it won't connect and I can't use the gauges function on it, so it's become of no real use on this upgrade path.
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX

Front O2 sensor replaced and CEL magically gone! Now we are ready for an Engine tune.
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX

don't log in for a while and notice this.... not fun!

Ver 7 drive by cable, V30 turbo, forged pistons, big-port heads, hand built, 8000 rpm redline - this little motor is pretty sweet.

With my turbo-back exhaust and a 3-port boost controller it made 269 wHp @ 6400 rpm and 250 TQ on Ultra 94 petrol. He said it's is about the same TQ and +10 Hp more than a bigger displacement '12 STi, as a point of reference. Maximum boost was 18.2 psi on the dyno.

Think I might get a surplus JDM STi gauge cluster to suit it now.

Is there a way to install my Perrin AOS without losing the cruise control?
    Last edited by LaszloT; 08-12-2015 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Max dyno boost
    Laszlo - red '17 WRX